-

GUARDED Pep Guardiola calls himself the Exceptional One, but admits his job is on the line with Manchester City out of the trophy hunt this season

PEP GUARDIOLA has dubbed himself the Exceptional One… but has admitted his job is on the line with Manchester City out of the trophy hunt this season.

The Spanish boss, 46, was quick to point out he was not a miracle-worker when he took over at the Etihad in the summer.


But now it appears he is already feeling the pressure, admitting he might be given the ‘bye-bye’ if he doesn’t bag some silverware at City soon.

Keep up to date with ALL the Manchester City news, gossip, transfers and goals on our club page plus fixtures, results and live match commentary.

Ahead of Sunday’s massive six-pointer against Liverpool, Guardiola said: “I think exceptional other managers in the world sometimes don’t win titles in a season.

“That is the normal situation all around the world.

“The exception is my career. I’m sorry - but that is exceptional.

“So of course we want to win titles. Everyone wants to win titles. We fight for that, we play for that.

“When that happens we improve and next season we come back and try to win the titles.

“The boss, the chairman, the sporting director, they are going to decide what’s the best for the club.

“My job, it depends on winning titles or not and if we’re not winning titles they judge me about the results.

“If it’s not good they are going to say bye-bye.”

Guardiola also added he never rests on his laurels, knowing his name alone is not enough to win the league title.

He claimed: “I am here with big expectations because I won a lot in Barcelona and Bayern Munich and if my expectations were less, maybe I didn’t win.

“People believe Pep is sitting here so now they are going to win the title. Easy. You are wrong.

“I never said we are going to win one title, I never said I was going to win the treble.  I never said I was going to win the double.

“I never said that in my first day at Barcelona, sitting there. I promised a lot of work.

“Few guys can beat me at that. I work. I am so proud of that.But I never promise titles, never in my life."